Friday, May 13, 2011

A Yellowjacket Abroad

I am about to embark on a great journey. One that will redefine the notion of a semester abroad. One that will continue in the great traditions of Homer and Jack Kerouac. One that will go down as the greatest thing done by a human being.

Ever.

One that will also hopefully be a bit more humble and use less hyperbole. But one can only hope. I intend to record my travels in a quasi-reliable fashion so anyone can check in on it on a semi-weekly basis. Is that something you might be interested in? I thought so.

Now let's get down to details and a brief synopsis. This will be a recording of my travels this summer from the 20th of May, 2011 to the 23rd of July, 2011. Encompassing 3, count them, 3! countries: Italy, Greece, Turkey, and as an added bonus, Denmark. 4 for the price of 3?! You must be kidding. That deal only happens on Ronco product commercials. Set it and forget it!

I will be faced with the daunting prospect of keeping up with this blog on a daily basis. I say daunting because we'll be doing a lot of traveling to some places that might not be internet-equipped. Yet, I shall press on. I shall endure. Now we'll also be checking out some uber sweet ancient architecture. (Can I still use uber, or is it passe? I think I was born a few years too soon for it. Alas....) I've prepared myself to see all of this old architecture, obviously, by bringing along a netbook, external hard drive, digital camera, three micro-sd cards, and a wireless mouse. Clearly, these are the tools of the trade necessary to experience these ancient sites.

A list of some cities I might be visiting:

Rome
Florence
Venice
Athens
Pompeii
Paestum
Naples
Sorrento

I hope to also include some photos, scanned sketches (don't hold out hope on that one) and to give a general recording of the day's events. I know we'll have to make a journal for this excursion at the end, so this might go along with the text of that quite seamlessly.

I guess people decide to make these blogs to give to posterity a record of their views of the world. I'm sure if Lewis and Clark had internet access and a netbook, they'd be live blogging too. It seems to be a natural instinct to want to share with the world your experiences. You can only keep them in your head for so long. Traveling abroad is a once (or twice) in a lifetime experience, so the inclination to share with everyone a piece of Europe seems like the right thing to do.

I'm also carrying with me the memory of Robert Daniel Betzel. It has come to my attention that the scholarship I received has been named in his honor partly because he was an outstanding student and also partly because of his untimely death. Every year since 1990, this scholarship has been given out to a student traveling abroad, and I am extremely grateful to be carrying the torch in Robert's name, as well as his sister's, Lori. When presented with the opportunity to expand your view of the world in conjunction with living up to the traditions passed down through this award for the last 20 years, I feel it is my duty not to waste this chance and make the best of it.

I hope to be making these entries with regularity, so if you'd like to follow along with me on this journey, make sure to check back often. Thanks for everyone's support.


1 comment: